Social Equity, Environment, & Development

S.E.E.D. Mission Statement: SEED nurtures and challenges interested, curious and compassionate students to grapple with today's major social issues and, in turn, produces empowered leaders.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Teaching Philosophy

Statement of Teaching Philosophy

I believe that, while content is important, what we teach is often just a medium through which we engage teenagers in meaningful human relationships. While I want my students to learn Calculus, I equally want them to be compassionate and caring. While I want them to show their work and thought-process, I also want them to be creative and curious. I believe that the top priority of an Independent School is to promote conscientious and caring human beings with the academic prowess to become positive agents of change.

I believe in equity, first and foremost, and try to incorporate issues of equality in my teaching. I believe that my role in schools is to help chip away at the disparity between those with access and those without. I think it is imperative that we engage our students and teachers in discussions about race, gender, class, and other important diversity topics so that we can work toward understanding each other better.

I believe in inquiry-based learning. I believe that the teacher’s role in the classroom should be that of an experienced learner, not the one with all of the answers. I believe the focus of each lesson should be on “thinking” rather than “knowing.” This can be accomplished through projects which allow students to learn through discovery. That being said, I believe there is a place for more traditional lectures in a class.

In a math class, I believe that a teacher must strike a delicate balance between challenging a student and fostering self-assurance. The role of a teacher is to challenge each student appropriately. This, of course, requires the teacher to know each student substantially. I believe that confidence affects students’ performance in math more than in any other course. Recognizing that there are many different learning styles, and adapting our teaching style to reach each of our learners, allows each of our students to be more successful.

I believe that appropriate use of technology is one way to aid many of our students. I have recently been recording classes on the SmartBoard and posting video of each class and pdf files of the class notes. Students have been able to review old lessons or print out notes from the day. I have found this most helpful to students with dyslexia and dysgraphia. As teachers try out new methods of incorporating technology, we are reminded of what is like to be a novice. This is in and of itself an invaluable lesson.

Lastly, I believe in a strong sense of collegiality among the faculty. Independent Schools are inherently busy, and teaching is largely a solitary act. We need to create viable opportunities throughout the day and week for teachers to share ideas and work together. When we inspire and are inspired by our colleagues, we cannot help but create a vibrant learning community.

No comments:

Post a Comment