Social Equity, Environment, & Development

S.E.E.D. Mission Statement: SEED nurtures and challenges interested, curious and compassionate students to grapple with today's major social issues and, in turn, produces empowered leaders.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The writing of the Mission Statement

Three days alone in New Hampshire, in the woods, in the White Mountains, in MARCH, in the snow. Ten days in total, backpacking with students. Spent much of the first two days alone sitting on a fallen tree over a bubbling winter creek. The third day it rained. 40 degrees. Cold. I sat under a tarp. Wood on one side, fire on the other. Writing. Thinking. Pondering education. Meditating on experience. Dreaming of my perfect school. Scribbling ideas down on paper. Rethinking. Revising.

When I finished, I stoked the fire. It burned bright and hot. I danced in the snow, barefoot, getting soaked by the rain.

Feeling very alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment